Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Oyakodon with a twist.


Oyakodon is a dish that I like to make quite often. It's simple and fast to cook; simply, chicken and egg over rice. I don't usually follow to the tee, the recipes I use, because if I did, then my kitchen would be a tiny convenience store with all kinds of ingredients from all over the world. So I tend to use what I already have in the kitchen and improvise from there. For example, I don't use sake, dashi, or mirin, that are commonly used in Japanese cooking. I use a lot of oyster sauce, soya sauce and chicken stock which I have at home. And it works just as well. Hence, Oyakodon with a twist. Here's how:

Serves 2:

Ingredients:

1 whole white onion (sliced thinly)
2 cups of white rice
4 eggs (beaten. To get light and fluffy texture, do not beat the eggs too much.)
1 tbsp of garlic (or however much you like)
1 tbsp of oyster sauce (or more if you like)
1 tbsp of soya sauce
100ml chicken stock
170g chicken breast or thigh cut into bite sized pieces (or whatever amount you feel is enough for yourself and your family. Some eat more than others).
pepper to taste

Preparation:
Cook the steamed rice
Marinate the chicken with the oyster sauce and some pepper to taste

Method:
1. In a large skillet/pan, saute the onions till they caramelise.
2. Add garlic, chicken stock and soya sauce, and put the lid on for about 2-3 mins.
3. Add the chicken pieces and put the lid back on again. Turn the chicken pieces over every now and then.
4. After the chicken is cooked, slowly add 2/3 of the slightly beaten egg. Stir lightly and cover with the lid.
5. Let it simmer for about 10 secs, and add the rest of the beaten egg. Put the lid back on, turn off the heat, and let the ingredients sit for 15secs.
6. Serve the topping over hot rice in a bowl.
7. Top with Parsley or Japanese seaweed. Whichever suits your taste better.

Note: This recipe is supposed to be a little sweet but Julien and I prefer it savoury. Hence, we omitted the sugar altogether. However, you can add it according to your taste preference.

Enjoy!

No comments: