Monday, October 26, 2009

Time off for a longer journey ahead!

Work's been really really crazy. But I love it. I love what I do. And I'm happy to be able to do what I do. Everyone who's met me has told me that this is not something that everyone can do. Haha. True I suppose.

I was working non stop 3 months before the wedding in August, and I must say that I was actually a lot more productive. Knowing that I was going to have a one month break, motivated me to do more in that 3 months than the rest of the year combined! I was really amazed at how the human potential can be stretched beyond limits set by our own human mind. After the wedding, I went straight back to working again. This time, it was because I know I have another 3 months more before a 3 week long break in December. I was doing pretty well until around the 3rd week of October where somehow, my spark kind of just fizzled out. And I didn't really understand why at first, because I was really enjoying myself at work for quite a while, and I didn't want it to end.

Then I started to fall a little ill. I would be okay after a good night's sleep, but when I got to work the next day, it would start again. Was wondering if I was starting to develop an allergy for work?! This started to stress me out a little and I began to feel frustrated easily and irritated for no apparent reason some times. It took me a few days before I figured I should take a few steps back and evaluate the situation again.

I'm glad I did that because I realised that I was starting to be burnt out at work without even knowing it! I started to get a little too optimistic about planning my schedules that I couldn't handle it time management wise. And this caused me to feel like I was giving up too much of my personal time for work. So, this is the best part that my job allows me to do: I took 3 days off work and just relaxed. Did the things I wanted to do for a while, that I was always pushing to "later" or "another day" or "when I have the time". I stayed home to read a book, cooked dinner, went out to the hairdressers', spent more time with Julien, basic things that make me happy. And it felt really really really good!

One value I learnt in life: To take time to do the things that make you happy! It refreshes the soul!

No comments: