Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oriental Classical

What I'm listening to now: Ashitaka Sekki by Joe Hisaishi.

He's my favourite composer/performer/conductor/muse. A musical genius in my opinion. He is best known for his work with animator Hayao Miyazaki, having composed many scores for many of his films including Spirited Away (2001), Howl's Moving Castle (2004), Princess Mononoke (1997), My Neighbour Totoro (1988), and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984). He is also recognized for the soundtracks he has provided for filmmaker 'Beat' Takeshi Kitano, including Dolls (2002), Kikujiro (1999), Hana-Bi (1997), Kids Return (1996), and Sonatine (1993).

In all my 27 years of my life, I've always considered myself an eclectic. I like almost all genres of music. There's none that I really dislike or can't listen to. But recently, I realised that I really really really really really love Classical music. I've studied music when I was younger, and I always had taken an interest with the piano. European classical is very good. But somehow, Oriental Classical is able to move something deeper than just my heart. Mainly because the instruments used are different. They make the notes come alive. I hope it moved you as much as it did me. Enjoy!

Ashitaka Sekki



Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite



One Summer's Day (Spirited Away)



Joe Hisaishi's also composed the score for a foreign film, Le Petit Poucet in 2001.

La Lune Brille Pour Toi



On a seperate note, I love Yann Tiersen's compositions too! Vive la France!

No comments: